Thursday, October 30, 2008

Out of work/Phillies are the 2008 World Series Champs!

This past Wed was one of the craziest, weirdest, most surreal days I have had in my entire life.
I was laid off yesterday. It was out of the blue. The company I worked for laid off 20 other people as well. That's equal to a 20% reduction in staff. I never expected to be a casualty of this recession. We had run the sales dept extremely lean to avoid situations like this. I know it wasn't job related for a couple of reasons, my #'s were up and have been for sometime now and I was told in my exit meeting that it had absolutely nothing to do with performance. Not much consolation as I have been working for them for the past 6 years but at least it was something. Packing my office was very strange. I did it in about 10 minutes and just left without saying goodbye to anyone. I was in shock. The drive home was surreal, I barely remember it now.
Some crazy things go through your mind when you are being told that you no longer have a job. The weirdest one for me yesterday was that at least I was going to miss the lame Halloween party they try to throw each year. Funny how the mind works.

Now what you ask...I don't really know where this is leading but I am looking at it as an opportunity to start a new chapter in my life. It is very scary but they say things happen for a reason. Right now I am trying to enjoy my new found free time.


But the day was not over yet. The Phillies were less than 3 innings away from a World Series win and I was not going to let what happened earlier in the day effect how I watched and celebrated. I am thrilled to say they won and I celebrated like I should by drinking too much and being a bit too loud!

No comments: