Sunday, November 16, 2008

Weekend update not with Norm MacDonald

Went on on mission Fri to get some skate shoes. I knew what I wanted and where I wanted to buy them. Off I went out to the OC, to my favorite skate shop, Liberty Boardshop. Upon arrival I immediately notice a large shoe wall filled with all types, shapes, and styles. Upon closer inspection my choices were actually pretty slim. I am on a mission for Half Cabs. Nothing too spectacular. Looking at the wall, lots of high end Half Cabs, and low tops. No regular Half Cabs. I guess they don't sell as well as the high end material styles. The higher end Half Cabs with leather and designs are cool and what not but you can't skate those. Or at least I can't. So after looking around for a second I jetted. That was a long ass drive for nothing. Oh well at least I was out of the house and cruising around. Since I have been laid off and injured I have been trapped in the house. I have neglected to mention the craziness of driving in an area like Fullerton/Brea/Yorba Linda where the world revolves around each privileged "human being" in their cars out there. It was amazing and dangerous, lots of lane switching without signals in traffic while on the phone. No look pull outs of shopping centers, along with an over abundence of large SUV and tank type vehicles. As well as the last remaining Yes on 8 and McClain/Palin stickers. You see what I am getting at...
Next stop another legit shop on my way back to the LBC. This time they had them but not in my size. OK, Late. Last stop a little spot I know in Seal Beach. Get there, it's freakin' deserted, but I see they have them on the wall. Hope they have my size. Hit the dude up in the shop (LBC pro from the late 90's) up to see if they have them in my size. Nope. Sweet...strike 3. WTF!?! I can't get a pair of plain Half Cab's at a skate shop (usual bitter old guy comment).
So there I was a beaten dude standing on Main St alone and without Half Cabs...
I am not going "shopping" for skate shoes. I just want to cruise to the shop and pick them up, same as I would a board or wheels.
So I bought them online at an un-named website. Bummer, but really...no regular Half Cabs at the shops. I guess at least I can get them. But it takes 3 days or so and I would much rather give the little bit of $$ I spend on product to the shops. It just seems like a sad state of skate affairs. You have to pay the bills and when times are tough you have sell as much of what you can to keep the lights on. But still...

Last night our neighbors had a bbq and bought the latest UFC championship fight. They had invited us over earlier in the day. We spent the evening drinking, eating and watching goons beat each other stupid for an arena full of spectators. I really like boxing but I cannot get into this MMA deal at all. It seems to me that a lot of these dudes actually like to fight and would whether or not there was an audience. That is the big difference for me between boxing and MMA. Either way Sandra I and hung out and chilled and watched until it was late. Radley spent the entire time playing with Marley (neighbors Boxer). He is all sleepy today and just laying in the sun on the back of the couch.

The Eagles played to a 13-13 tie with the Cincinatti Bengals today. Yes, a tie. Yes, the Bengals had only won 1 game previous to this all year. No I am not happy about the way the Eagles are playing, but what can you do.

At least there is hockey on tonight!




What happened to skaters like this? Where are you Robbie Gangemi?
Straight up East Coast raw shit!

No comments: