Tuesday, June 30, 2009

King Nicky

I know I keep it pretty east coast on this blog so I think it's time to re-introduce you to my all time favorite SF rapper Andre Nickatina formerly known as Dre Dog. When I first moved to SF I lived in the dorms at first. Across the hall next door to the Lunachick lived a couple of dudes from Fremont in the East Bay. It was through Keith and Chris that I first heard Dre Dog. From the 1st verse I was hooked. His shows are amazing and relatively infrequent but if you get the chance you should really go. Both shows I saw were dope in very different ways. The first time I saw him was on Haight St at the Boomerang. This show was his home turf and the Fillmore showed up in force. The vibe was hard but cool if you can understand that. He tore the roof off that piece of shit club for the whole show and then closed the set down with an accapella version of the Daquiry Factory. Whoa! The second time was at a frat house at UCSD. Yep a frat house, weird ass location, and a completely different crowd. But he still ripped the shit out of the place and played a bunch of old shit. So, on that note please roll a honey blunt (must be a Vega) and pump these while you reminisce about SF circa '94-'00.

Nicky Says


Baking Soda in Minnesota - Live


Crack Raider Razor


Smoke Dope and Rap - the song that got me hooked

No comments: